BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cupcake Bites

Next time I make cupcake bites, I'll probably prepare the cake balls the evening before, and then decorate them the next day. I did these at my mom's house on Mother's Day weekend, and we wound up only doing half the first night. By the time we baked the cake, let it cool, added the cream cheese, let it harden a bit in the freezer, rolled 50 or so cake balls, let those harden in the freezer, holy cow it was already 1:30am by the time they were ready to decorate. Not to mention we each had had a few pina coladas and a beer by that point. I had also put alot of work into kicking the butts of my mom, aunt, and uncle at both air hockey and pool. Needless to say, I was simply ready to get it all over with and hit th
e hay. At the very least, many a joke was made at the expensive of the "balls." Oh what it is to be a "grown up" with people whom, not long ago, would have never said such things in my presence. 

Mom and I rolling the cake balls.

The only real problem I had was with the chocolate not wanting to let up on the cake ball. I tried to keep it well melted, but it still had quite a hold. The second half, which I did the next day, had better results. It was also much more enjoyable. I'll assume that it's due to those cake balls having been in the freezer overnight. By then I had some practice, and being able to just yank them from the freezer, and decorate, was much better than spending hours preparing them beforehand. The second batch turned out much nicer, but I only have a photo of some from the first batch. 

The final result: Batch #1

The recipe I used was, of course, Bakerella's red velvet cake ball recipe. Click her name for a link to the recipe on her blog. I couldn't find regular chocolate bark at Walmart or Michael's, so I just used the the dark cocoa candy melts, and purple and white candy melts as well. I also based mine off of these cupcake bites by Bakerella. I didn't want to do purple, since hers are so well known, but my Mom's favorite color is purple. *sigh*

Overall, I have to say these turned out pretty neat and I'll definitely make them again. Everyone thought they were delicious, as well as pretty. A number of people didn't realize they were homemade until I mentioned making them. 

(something happened to my text at the bottom here.... so i just shrunk it since it wouldn't stay "normal" like the rest of the font.)




0 comments: